Crowcombe Court was built as a statement of wealth and a house in which to entertain by Thomas Carew. Completed in 1739 to a design by Nathaniel Ireson, who also built Stourhead and Venn House, the style is described as English Regional Baroque and sits across the Queen Anne and Georgian periods. The house was owned by the Carew family until the 1960s and then, following a number of incarnations, has been saved and restored to its former glory over the last seventeen years.
The Great Hall makes for a grand entrance with fine examples of Italian plasterwork throughout. The Ballroom, remodelled in 1870, by Edward Barry, is a riot of early Victorian colour and style. The superb marble fireplace is thought to have come from Stowe. The Dining Room floor is painted with the arms of the Carew family. The house also benefits from a Vaulted Undercroft, which would have held the winter stores for the household. The house holds a number of significant items of furniture and paintings.
Visitors that wish to learn more about the history of Crowcombe Court through a guided tour are encouraged to book onto one of the house tours offered through the ‘Invitation to View’ scheme. More information can be found on our Events page.
For groups of 10 or more (up to 50) it is possible to arrange a private tour, with various catering options available. Please use the contact form, or telephone 01984 618752 for more information.
The gardens at Crowcombe Court, which run to over 10 acres, have been neglected for more than 50 years. Overgrown and unmanaged woodland, rampant Japanese Knotweed, a walled garden used as a rubbish dump, and an empty lake were just some of the challenges facing David and Kate Kenyon when they arrived at Crowcombe Court. Since that point, a number of projects have been accomplished, under the overall title of ‘See the Garden Grow’. The woodland has now been thinned and a network of paths created. The Knotweed has been eradicated in the Walled Garden, over 250 tonnes of rubbish has been removed, and the lake is now a wildlife haven. In addition, an orchard has been planted, the hydrangea beds with over 100 plants have been established, and the North Garden has been created with an abstract design featuring seasonal flower beds and a shrubbery of varied and interesting plants.
The main project remaining is the Walled Garden. The walls have been cleared and recapped, and with the removal of the Knotweed the main landscaping in the form of terraces can be implemented. During 2017 the layout of the garden will be developed involving the creation of pathways, lawns and flowerbeds. Planting is unlikely to commence before 2018.